It’s been a while since I last presented on graphic design and related principles to a student affairs audience. Although I am not formally trained in the area, I do have enough working knowledge to translate some of my own successes into practical and actionable tips for practitioners. Above you’ll find the slides from my ACUHO-I Business Operations Conference presentation today as well s some additional helpful resources below.
Designing effective presentations, brochures, websites, and social media content doesn’t have to be expensive. In this session, participants will learn about design principles they can utilize in designing their own materials—including understanding the basics of working with color, fonts, and images. Participants will also be provided with examples of free and low cost resources and tools that can make design easier than ever.
- Participants will be able to articulate and apply basic principles of effective graphic design in their work—including the effective use of fonts, images, and color.
- Participants will be able to identify sources of free or low-cost media for use in their marketing.
- Participants will be able to identify free or low cost online tools for design.
- 20 GREAT Sites For Free Stock Images
- SproutSocial’s Image resizer, “Landscape,” for social media platforms
- Piktochart – for infographics
- Infogram – for infographics
- Haiku Deck – for presentations
Excellent books on slide design, but many are highly applicable to digital and print design as well.